So, once in a while in our lives we come across something that makes us scratch our heads and say "why didn't I think of that!", and move on to the next thing in our lives.  I recently had that epiphany.

As most of you know, I've changed up boats, switching to a 14' aluminum car topper and dressing it up with a 15HP Yamaha four stroke outboard.  Needless to say, the outboard is a tad heavier than outboards I've had in the past, especially when I now have to haul it out of the back of the truck and put it on the transom of the boat, something I haven't done in....................30 years or so?  And back then, it would have been a two stroke that weighed in the neighborhood of a max of 60lbs.  This new motor?  115lbs plus change, and all heavy outboards are, very top heavy.  So, I've been trying to figure out a way to have a system to get this beasty up onto the tailgate of the truck without invoking a hernia each and every time, and I figured I had a pretty good system, at least until my buddy Knuckles in Enderby turned my attention to a device he found on the good old Internet, called the Easy-Motor-Toter.

I did a little research on it myself, even checked out a couple of You Tube videos on it, and it looked like a pretty slick unit.  I had just picked up a motor stand at Bass Pro not 2 weeks prior but that's all it was, a motor stand that had wheels on it so you could move it around easily, it didn't solve the "getting it in the truck" issue, and my back was definitely looking for an easier way.  Along with awkward loading the motor took a beating every time you had to lift it in or out and drag it along the bed of the truck on the cardboard, and you couldn't stack anything around or on it, a real pain.

I contacted the inventor/builder of the Easy-Moter-Toter, Bryant Hollins who lives in 100 Mile House, so the product is Canadian!  We chatted on email back and forth for a bit, then on the phone, and then made a meet in Sorrento where I picked up my back savior!  From the first time I stuck my motor onto it until I stuck it in the back of the truck, I kept coming up with "why didn't I think of that!" in my head!  Its simplicity in motion, not much else I can say.  I kept loading and unloading the thing, figuring I must be missing something more complicated about it but, nope, it was what it was and it didn't get any simpler.

I of course tried to find something wrong with it, that's what I do with new products, and went through my usual regime of examination.  Welds were excellent, powder coating was excellent, the bends flawless, the wheels rugged, even the wood block was from CANFOR, gotta like Canadian.  I noticed that the wheels had grease nipples on the inside of them, but try as I may I could not get a grease gun fitting onto them.  Ah hah, I found a flaw!  Well, not really, as when I asked Bryant about it he said that in the 6 years he's used his he has never greased it, because its not like your travelling 100 miles every time with the thing, very good point.  But, that's not how I do things, so I simply replaced the existing grease fitting with a straight one, cost of about 56 cents, problem solved. It should be noted that this grease fitting does not grease the wheel bearings, merely the axle shaft, the bearings are a sealed unit.  I mentioned this to Bryant and as any good inventor does, he took my information to heart and will be replacing the angled ones with straight ones, you gotta like that for customer service!  That however ,was all I was able to find "wrong" with the entire unit, and it doesn't really count anyways as its not really necessary to grease them unless your always submerging the wheels in water and don't want the axle shaft to rust.

The real test came when I hit the boat launch, I figured the angle and bend of the frame had to do with angled boat launch's or something, and my first "unloading" onto an angled boat launch did in fact make my observations correct. It did make the motor sit more straight up for taking the motor off of the stand.  But, again after talking to Bryant, I found out that the wood block is in fact at that angle to reproduce the angle that the motor would be on the transom of the boat, when the motor/stand is laying down.  This really makes sense with four stroke motors, as they have that oil reservoir in them and if the motor isn't in the right position, it'll leak oil, just ask me about that!  Next was the bend that was in the frame.  Bryant said that they made it angled like that because the tires have air in them, and should one go flat while the motor is being stored, the stand won't tip over because of the angle!!!!  Good grief, talk about being over thought about, all the basis were covered!

Today at the launch, not only was the motor easy to get out of the truck, I merely moved the stand right beside the transom, unloaded the motor off the stand which was real easy because of the angle of the board, and the fact I could put my foot onto the bottom frame.  Sameo when loading it back up, it couldn't get much easier and best of all, no more back pain!  I had a group of guys there when I was packing stuff up and had numerous comments about the fancy motor stand and how slick it worked.

It's a keeper Bryant!  I also must say that I have never met a more gracious gent than Bryant in a long time, easy talking, worldly and just an honest to goodness great down to earth person, it was a absolute pleasure to meet you sir, and your product! Go to Bryant's website for a complete list of outlets that carry his product or you can even contact me if you have questions.  The Patent for this is both in Canada and USA.  A word from Bryant (click HERE). Here's some action pics: 

Old system, cardboard, a foam
pad and allot of back strain....